I am something of a self-described "theater nerd". I never acted as a child, and I didn't really get into the theater until middle/high school. One of the best memories that I have of middle school is of going on a class trip in eighth grade to New York City to see "The Lion King" on Broadway. This would have been at some point during the first half of the year 2000. We got to dress up, and we went out for dinner before the show (I think that we went someplace Italian?), and it was really kind of cool because it was one of the first times that I can remember going somewhere and doing something without either of my parents or my grandmother being present. Plus, I felt rather fancy and grown up being able to dress up and go somewhere with my classmates. It also didn't hurt that "The Lion King" was (and still is) my favorite Disney movie.
In any event, here we are in 2017 (seven years later), and I thought I would do a blog post about the shows that I've been lucky enough to see so far this year.
- Something Rotten! - Seen at the Boston Opera House in Boston.This production was the national tour of "Something Rotten!", and was presented through Broadway Across America. I really, really loved this show. It was a lot of fun, and I felt that the musical numbers really helped to drive the plot, and weren't just "filler" between speaking parts. I thought that the cast worked well together, and that they were having fun on stage.
- TransScripts, Part 1: The Women - Seen at the American Repertory Theater's (A.R.T.) Loeb Theater in Cambridge, MA. "Drawn from dozens of interviews conducted around the world, Trans Scripts uses the real words of women to shed light on the rich and diverse experiences within the transgender community" (https://americanrepertorytheater.org/events/show/trans-scripts-part-i-women). I thought that this was a very powerful and engaging show, and I also enjoyed the post show discussion that was presented afterward.
- A Doll's House - Seen at the BU Theater on Huntington Avenue in Boston. This theater is across the street from Symphony Hall, and also located down the street from Northeastern University and the Museum of Fine Arts in one direction, and the Prudential/Copley Mall in the other direction. I think that my understanding of this play was helped by the fact that I read this play on my own when I was in college, and so I had a basic, remembered idea of the plot. One of the things that I like about the Huntington Theater Company is that they offer discounted tickets to the 35 and under crowd, which I definitely a member of, so I was able to take advantage of that, and get a $30 ticket for a balcony seat. I am glad that I saw this play. I have heard this play described as a critique of 19th century marriage, as well as a critique of traditional men's and women's roles, and I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly.
- Burlesque Against Humanity - Seen at Oberon, a bar/nightclub/performance venue in Cambridge's Harvard Square. As the name suggests, this show was a burlesque tribute to the Cards Against Humanity card game. Lots of fun. Good acts. Would recommend if they bring it back again.
No comments:
Post a Comment