One of the social networking websites that I am active on is Meetup.com. One of the groups that I belong to is a group called the Boston Science Fiction and Fantasy Meetup, which, among other things, hosts two monthly Book Club events (one at a comic book store in Somerville, and another in Newton), as well as a monthly social meetup at a restaurant in Boston. I haven't been to many of their events since Adrian and I moved to the South Shore, but I do see folks from that meetup group around at local conventions that Adrian and I attend.
I now belong to a group called TCPL Grownups 20s/30s. This group is run by librarians who work at the Thomas Crane Public Library in Quincy, Massachusetts, and, as the name would suggest, it is a Meetup group geared toward people who are in their 20's and 30's. They have recurring events such as a monthly Retro Video Game Night, a monthly Trivia Night, a monthly Board Game Night, a monthly Crafterdark (Craft After Dark) event, and a monthly Book Club meetup at a local Chinese restaurant.
I went to my first Book Club meeting last month, where the selected book was The Princess Bride. I enjoyed the company (my friend Eileen was one of the other attendees), but, I have to admit, I like the film adaptation of The Princess Bride more than I like the book itself.
I am now playing a game called Winter Challenge Bingo. Here is a photo:
As you can see, it works just like a regular game of Bingo. You get one free square in the middle, and then in order to "win", you have to read four books in a line going across, up and down, or diagonally. I have already read one book that falls under the Graphic Novel category ("Lazarus", Volume 4 - if you haven't heard of this series yet, I suggest that you check it out. It's very good.), and now I can check off the Book into Movie category, since I just finished reading "The Princess Bride".
I am re-reading "The Handmaid's Tale" for the Re-Read a Book You Love category, and I have ideas for books to read for the other categories, such as "The Great Gatsby" or "Slaugherhouse Five" for the A Book You Should've Read in High School category, or something written by Stephen King for the Oh! The Horror Category.
I am looking forward to working my way through this literary Bingo board, and I hope to make some new friends along the way by going to more of these TCPL Grownups 20s/30s events.

No comments:
Post a Comment