Monday, August 28, 2017

Hurricane Harvey

I've been watching news coverage of Hurricane Harvey off and on over the last few days. What's happening in Texas reminds me of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and Super Storm Sandy in 2012. 
 
A friend of mine from college is currently in that part of Texas, volunteering with the Red Cross. She was supposed to fly to Chicago yesterday for a doctor's appointment (and to visit her brother, who lives there), but her flight was cancelled on Saturday. She was in Texas for something completely unrelated to Harvey, but her plans obviously changed once the storm hit. She was OK as of last night. I hope that she remains OK going forward.

I want to "do something". I think that the only thing that I can do at this point is maybe donate money to one of the groups in Texas who are helping people down there - the Red Cross, local homeless shelters and food pantries, etc. 

-----

In other news, I visited the Peabody Essex Museum last week. They have this really cool exhibit there right now called "It's Alive!: Classic Horror and Sci-Fi Art from the Kirk Hammett Collection". This exhibit will be at the PEM through November 26, 2017. Adrian took three days off from work next month for his birthday, so I think that we might go up to Salem one day during that time so that he can see the exhibit for himself. 

I saw a movie at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge recently called "Dave Made a Maze". I enjoyed it quite a bit - more than I thought I would, to be honest. I thought that it was both really weird and really creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment