Saturday, April 28, 2018

Shows I've Seen My Last Post

Since my last post, I have seen four different theater shows. 

Anne of Green Gables - Saw this play at Eastern Nazarene College, a private, co-ed, liberal arts college in Quincy, Massachusetts. I really enjoyed this play! I read the Anne of Green Gables series of books when I was in middle school, and I still have them at my Mom's house in New Jersey. While I think that the whole cast was very solid, I think that the actress who portrayed Anne Shirley stole the show, and was the best. 

True West -  Saw this play at the First Church in Boston, a UU Church on Marlborough Street in Boston. I would describe this show as a dark comedy involving two brothers, set at their mother's house in California. The two leads gave really great performances.

On Your Feet! - Saw this musical about Gloria and Emilio Estafan at the Boston Opera House. I entered a digital lottery for a chance to buy cheap tickets to this show, and I won. I thought that this show was just OK. I'm glad that I didn't pay full price for my ticket. It would be fair to say that I think that the other three shows that I've mentioned in this post were all better than this musical.

Cabaret - I saw this musical this afternoon. Moonbox Productions is the theater group that put on this show. This was actually my first time seeing this show performed on stage. Until now, my only exposure to this show was watching the movie version with Liza Minelli, and YouTube videos of Alan Cumming perform as The Emcee. While I was sitting in the audience today, I found myself thinking that Cabaret is still relevant today, more than 50 years after it first opened on Broadway.

No comments:

Post a Comment