Sunday, May 5, 2013

NHL playoffs

The NHL playoffs are in full swing, and I am currently sitting in my living room, watching the Minnesota Wild / Chicago Blackhawks game. The Penguins and Islanders played against one another earlier today, and the Penguins won 5-4. The Canucks are playing the Sharks tonight at 10pm, and the Senators are playing the Canadiens tonight at 7pm.

One game that I am excited about is the Bruins/Maple Leafs game tomorrow night at 7pm.

If there is one thing that moving to Boston has done for me, it's this: this town, this particular sports culture, has made me an ice hockey fan. I didn't care about sports of any stripe all that much when I was in high school. I think that going to a college that didn't have a football team (BU got rid of their football program back in the 1990's) while I was there, but did have an active and strong ice hockey program, helped a lot. :)

I think that this is why I have never understood the appeal of college football. I mean, from a social aspect - going to the games with friends, and standing around in the parking lot at a tail gating party, or in someone's gritty living room drinking warm beer from red plastic cups - then yeah, I can see why it's appealing. But from the P.O.V. of the sport itself? I just don't find anything really interesting about the game of football itself. The only football game I've ever really cared about is the Superbowl if the New England Patriots are playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment